Skip to footer
Two individuals in front of The Big Pour silos

75 Years of History

Our story started with little more than one man’s dream. From humble beginnings, The Andersons has grown into a publicly traded Fortune 500® company through our enduring commitment to serving our valued customers with innovative, forward-thinking solutions.

1940-1949
The Andersons elevator from the 1940s
1940s
  • Harold and Margaret Anderson found The Andersons Truck Terminal (ATT) in Maumee, Ohio.

  • ATT was established as an operating partnership with Harold and Margaret and their six children.

  • A grain terminal with nine truck bays was built for rapid turnaround and better service to farmers.

  • Rail transfer to ship loading was established on the Maumee River.

Truck unloading grain during the 1940s
Harold Anderson at his desk
1950-1959
Photo of The Andersons Warehouse Market from the 1950s
1950s
  • Additional grain storage was added, known nationally as “The Big Pour.”

  • The Andersons Warehouse Market was opened as the first retail store.

  • Fertilizer blending began, initially utilizing a cement mixer.

  • Ear corn and cob milling facilities were added.

  • St. Lawrence Seaway was opened.

 

 

June 26, 1959
The St. Lawrence Seaway opens, granting The Andersons a pivotal "Key to the Sea"
Individuals stacking bags of fertilizer during the 1950s
The Big Pour construction of silos from the 1950s
1960-1969
Freighter at The Andersons river location in the 1960s
1960s
  • The Andersons opened the first deep-water grain loading facility on the U.S. side of the Great Lakes.

  • Champaign, Illinois, was opened as the first elevator in the U.S. capable of loading 100-car unit trains destined for the East Coast, the Gulf, and the fast-growing export market.

  • The largest steel tank grain storage installation in North America was conducted by The Andersons in Maumee, Ohio.

  • Lawn Products business was begun.

  • John Anderson became managing partner.

Silos being constructed during the 1960s
Previous, early The Andersons logo
Portrait of John Anderson from the 1960s
1970-1979
Railcars at an operations location in the 1970s
1970s
  • Grain receipts almost tripled, and the river elevator was expanded.

  • Unit train fertilizer shipments arrived from the western U.S. and Canada.

  • Unit train grain shipments headed to Gulf ports.

  • A grain elevator and cob mill were built in Delphi, Indiana.

Individual at grain inspection during the 1970s
Trucks dumping their loads at The Andersons Elevator in the 1970s
The Andersons elevator from the 1970s
1980-1989
Grand Opening of a retail store from the 1980s
1980s
  • Liquid fertilizer facilities were established on the Maumee River.

  • Toledo and Columbus retail stores were opened.

  • Dick Anderson became managing partner.

  • The Andersons Management Corporation was formed.

  • Two directors who were not members of the Anderson family were added to the board of directors.

  • Grain elevators and fertilizer facilities were opened in Indiana and Michigan.

Portrait of Dick Anderson from the 1980s
Company leadership in front of silos in the 1980s
1990-1999
Individual working on a railcar
1990s
  • The Andersons was incorporated and was first listed on the NASDAQ on February 20, 1996.

  • Railcar repair shop was built in Maumee, and the company entered the rail leasing business.

  • Mike Anderson became CEO.

  • Grain and liquid storage facilities were acquired in Clymers, Walton, Logansport, Seymour, North Manchester, and Waterloo, Indiana.

  • Sales reached $1 billion.

  • The majority of the board was of independent directors.

1996 The Herald employee newsletter
Portrait of Mike Anderson from the 1990s
Aerial view of an operations location
2000-2009
Railcars at The Andersons elevator in the 2000s
2000s
  • The Andersons entered the ethanol business, overseeing the construction and operation of three ethanol plants.

  • The railcar fleet was significantly expanded, and additional railcar repair shops were added.

  • Professional turf products were expanded.

  • Additional shares were issued in the form of a 2-for-1 stock split and follow-on offering.

  • The Andersons invested in Lansing Trade Group, LLC, an independently owned ag-merchandising company that trades wheat, corn, feed ingredients, and other grains/oilseeds.

Individual working at an ethanol plant in the 2000s
Tanker truck at an ethanol plant in the 2000s
2010-2019
Side view of The Andersons headquarters at sunset
2010s
  • The Andersons Denison Ethanol, LLC acquired an ethanol plant in Denison, Iowa.

  • A state-of-the-art, 27,000 square foot railcar paint facility was opened in Maumee, Ohio.

  • Additional shares were issued in the form of a 3-for-2 stock split.

  • Six grain and four agronomy facilities located throughout north central Michigan were purchased from Auburn Bean and Grain.

  • The Andersons acquired Nutra-Flo Company.

  • Pat Bowe became president and CEO.

  • The Andersons exited the retail business, closing four retail stores.

  • New corporate headquarters was constructed in Maumee, Ohio.

  • The Andersons and ICM, Inc. collaborated on ELEMENT, LLC, a state-of-the-art biorefinery in Colwich, Kansas.

  • Lansing Trade Group, LLC was acquired, as well as the formerly jointly owned Thompsons Limited.

The Andersons headquarters entry
Aerial view of an operations location
Grain bin rescue training
2020-Now
The Andersons Serving for 75 Years logo
2020s
  • Began publishing a corporate Sustainability Review.

  • Opened an international trading desk in Lausanne, Switzerland.

  • Purchased Capstone Commodities, LLC, a company that merchandises ingredients primarily into dairies in the southwest U.S.

  • Existed the rail business.

  • Celebrating our 75th anniversary with 75 acts of service company-wide.

  • Feed Factors, Ltd., a U.K.-based subsidiary of The Andersons, wins Queen's Award for Enterprise in Sustainable Development 2022.

 

 

The Andersons celebrates its 75th anniversary by ringing the Nasdaq Closing Bell in NYC

 

 

Photography courtesy of Nasdaq, Inc.

Forbes is a registered trademark of Forbes Media LLC.